At present, setting and running a website has become a simple thing with WordPress. With the intuitive WordPress admin panel, you can upload the content of any kinds directly to your website, such as the textual words, PDF files, images, downloadable files, media and many more. Even, you can install the plugins to achieve some special goals without the need to edit the HTML code of your site. However, you cannot deny there are some possibilities that you have to target the website files from the root directory to make some changes, configurations and recovery. Especially, when your site is in trouble like the White Screen Death error, you cannot enter the website back-end to configure the settings. Instead, you have to use a FTP client to connect to your website files for the configurations. And this time, we are going to introduce the top 5 WordPress clients for you to use.
This is the first FTP client we want to mention, which is a reliable, fast and cross-platform FTP with lots of features. It is a free option that comes with both the client version and the server version. Some of the highlights include:
- Super easy-to-use.
- Supports for the FTP, SFTP and the FTP over TLS or SSL.
- Runs properly on Linux, Windows, Mac and some other platforms.
- Available in plenty of languages.
- Intuitive and tabbed user interface.
- Network configuration wizard, directory comparison, bookmarks, remote file editing and more.
At the first glance, you can find that the FileZilla interface is quite straightforward. You can start the quick server connection, target the wanted directory, start uploading and check the process easily.
In addition, if you are the new user, you just need to go through the simple learning curve with documentation available from its official site. Even, there are many other resources and user guide you can find online. After all, this is one of the most widely used FTP clients on the web.
Here, we have to mention that as compared with other FTP options, this one also has two notable features. The first one is its custom limits for the transfer speed. While limiting the transfer speed limit, you can control your Internet bandwidth easily. The second one is its site manager that allows you to save information on the FTP site with the encrypting connections.
This is another free FTP client that is used for Mac and Windows. With the easy UI, you can connect to everything effortlessly, such as FTP, SFTP, WebDAV, Google Cloud Storage, Google Drive, Backblaze, Rackspace and many more. The key features and functions are listed as the following.
- The editor integration feature allows you to use your preferred editor application by plugging it into the infrastructure of this FTP client. This can streamline the content editing with your code effectively.
- The bookmarking feature is of the drag-and-drop function. This way, you can organize the FTP accounts, files and directories with the ease of use to all the user levels.
- The SFTP option is available for the better security. In addition, you can use the Cryptomator tool if you stick with FTP.
FireFTP works similarly as FileZilla, which is a free, cross-platform and secure FTP or SFTP client. With it, you can get the easy access to your FTP/SETP servers, along with the following features.
- The cross-platform feature allows it to work on Windows, Max OS and Linux well.
- The synchronization keeps the directories in sync when navigating.
- Available in more than 20 languages.
- Add-on features including directory comparison, automatic re-connect, integrity checks for each transfer, file compression and many more.
The automatic re-connection and the transfer re-start features are useful. It is possible that you may lose connection due to some unknown reasons. If so, these two features can establish the re-establish of the connectivity automatically within the shortest time.
The Free FTP actually offers two versions for you to use. The first one is surely the free option that is less competitive than the second paid one, lacking some features like the default code editor, image viewer, file permissions and snippet library.
However, no matter you opt for the free version or the paid full version, you can get all the basic features from the standard FTP client.
- The efficient and fast file transfer process.
- The elegant bookmarking feature so you will never lose your place.
- The fast and simple file uploads.
- The freedom to set the permissions for all the files and folders.
- The support for the safe file transfer, including HTTPS, FTPS over TLS and SPTF over SSH.
This is the only one in this list that will charge you at the price of $45. And according to the review, we have found that this client is constantly updated to the new version, along with the increasing of the charges.
However, this FTP client is worth of the charge. Especially, if you care about the appearance of the dashboard, Transmit simply gives you the organized and visually appealing feel.
This FTP client is powerful enough to achieve the super-fast transfer, along with the safe and secure process. Even, it allows the folder linking and the custom icons for you. However, the drawback is also obvious. There is no trial or free option.