WireNine is a privately operated web hosting company dedicated to offering affordable and reliable shared hosting, reseller hosting as well as VPS hosting services across the globe. It was co-founded by two tech-savvy enthusiasts in 2004 and owns 200,000 customers coming from 65 countries.
The responsive and thoughtful support is what makes WireNine stand out from other hosting solutions. Besides, their commitment to ethical standards in the industry also brings them a lot of awards and positive reviews. Following is our all-rounded WireNine review.
#1: high reputation & customer satisfaction
The ultimate goal of WireNine is to offer competitive web hosting service with guaranteed satisfaction. In fact, they have achieved their goal and gained recognitions from various independent reviewers. Also, there are many awards to attest their excellence and professionalism.
#2: flexible pricing policy & 24×7 technical support
The web hosting services offered by WireNine are quite straightforward, and there is one single plan for the shared hosting – SSD Shared Hosting. The month-to-month price of this plan is $15/mo, but customers signing for 1/2/3-year service can save $1. However, there is no discount for quarterly or semi-annually billing cycle, and below are the pricing details:
- $15 USD monthly.
- $45 USD quarterly.
- $90 USD semi-annually.
- $168 USD annually.
- $336 USD biennially.
- $504 USD triennially.
For the availability of website backups or dedicated IP, subscribers need to pay for extra $3 per month. A good news is their North American-based support is free of charge, and webmasters running small to medium-sized WordPress websites can rest assured they are in good hands. The allowed support methods include:
- Chat. This is really hassle-free, and anyone can get in real-time touch with a representative of this company by clicking the “Live Chat” button. There is an option to enter personal profile or integrate Facebook account, but only “Sales” support is available currently.
- Phone. The support team is based out of the US and 100% English speaking. However, the phone number is not free for customers outside of North America, and only from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. CST can this hotline be reached.
- Client Portal. This method is meant for existing customers who have an email address and password to log onto the user portal. Besides, visitors having pre-sales inquiries can send a message to the “Billing” or “Sales” department by filling in a support form.
Through this portal, customers can also access the peer-to-peer community, check out the knowledgebase and watch instructive video tutorials on common web hosting tasks they will face. Note that, customers wishing to email the CEO of WireNine should include a summary of current issues, along with support ticket number and team member’s number.
#3: easy-to-use cPanel & 1-click installer
The cPanel 11 comes standard within the shared plan, and customers are given a wide variety of themes to choose from. Other cPanel features include IP deny manager, web-based file manager, advanced DNS zone editor, Hotlink protection, email management, URL redirects and traffic statistics, etc.
Perhaps the most important feature is the 1-click install, which means customers can start using any of the available 330+ applications without spending hours selecting and configuring certain installation packages. Some of the popular scripts include WordPress, Ghost, Joomla, B2evolution, Drupal, Moodle, phpBB and SugarCRM, etc.
#4: rich server specs & free domain registration
WireNine gives all the essential hosting features webmasters need to accommodate a “just getting started” website. The shared plan works well even for smaller online shops, but clients will most probably outgrow it if they start attracting more than 10,000 unique visits each month on a regular basis. Here is a list of standard features:
- Unmetered traffic & disk space. (Note that, this doesn’t mean Unlimited traffic, which however indicates a much lower speed when data is transferring between servers and the public. Besides, the storage space is limited to storing website related files only.)
- Unlimited email addresses, FTP accounts, sub-domains, domain aliases & MySQL databases. (The advanced features for email hosting include: filters, email forwarding, SquirrelMail & Roundcube, spam & virus protection, SMTP & IMAP support and so on.)
- Instant account activation, drag-and-drop site builder, daily website backups & $100 Google AdWords credit.
For those running average-sized blogs or business websites, there are more technical specs to expect. Pay attention that, free domain registration requires a minimum of 12-month term and applies to these extensions, including .net, .org, .biz, .com, .info, .us, .org, .uk and .co.
#1: unstable hosting environment
Reliability is the core of quality service, and thus WireNine promises 100% uptime guarantee at each hosting plan. To keep their promise, this company claims to have invested in high efficiency and powerful servers housed in state-of-the-art facilities in TX, Los Angeles and Dallas. However, there is no detailed information regarding the data center infrastructures, and our uptime report carried out in the past months also tells a different story.
#2: no pro-rated refund after 60/30 days
Both the shared and reseller plans of WireNine carry a 60-day money back guarantee, and VPS hosting plans only carry a 30-day refund guarantee. To receive a full refund when cancelling accounts, customers should make their requests via the billing department. Note that, no refunds will be issued after the guaranteed 60/30 days.
Bear in mind that the refunds are only meant for hosting fees, and the following methods of payments are totally non-refundable:
- Money Orders.
- Bank Wire Transfers.
- Account Credit Balances.
- Western Union Payments.
#3: unimpressive server performance
A great way to increase conversion rate and visitor satisfaction is by improving loading speed. To deliver much faster speed, WireNine makes use of RAID protected SSD (Solid State Drives) storage, along with 8 core Intel Xeon CPUs. Also, their 24×7 security monitoring and DDoS protection will protect a user’s site from lots of brute-force attacks.
However, the actual loading speed of WireNine is not that impressive as we may expect, and it averages according to the result from Pingdom.com.
In Conclusion – Not Recommended
WireNine offers small business websites all the needed hosting features and tools to get started. However, it won’t be an ideal choice for those seeking for a reliable and high-performance at a budget-friendly price. In this case, we have selected three hosting providers based on all those criteria.