Web.com is an experienced web hosting provider that has been in this industry for more than 30 years, serving for over 3 million of customers at present. To help people succeed on the web, they offer multiple services in addition to the web hosting solution, such as website building, online marketing, search engine optimization, domain registration, email marketing, SSL certificates and many more. Also, they have purchased Network Solutions and Register.com as their own brands.
Frankly speaking, Web.com can be regarded as a reliable web host with a large user base. But recently, we have found that there are a lot of webmasters who complain that their hosting solution is totally a waste of time. To figure out whether Web.com is a scam or not, we have made this in-depth Web.com review in the following, checking their affordability, reliability, support service and hosting performance.
Below is the editorial rating chart that demonstrates how we regard this web host after hosting a sample site with them. Obviously, we are not so satisfied.
The Pros of Web.com Web Hosting
As serving for webmasters for such a long time, this web host knows the importance of hosting reliability; thus have done a good job for this aspect. Also, after checking their feature list, their packages are rich-featured enough to meet your common hosting requirements.
Reliable Hosting Solution
In fact, the hosting reliability is largely affected by the quality of web servers and the infrastructures of data centers. The former one determines whether your website contents can be delivered over the Internet smoothly, while the latter one decides whether the server machines can work uninterruptedly. However, after going through the official site of Web.com and searching on the Google, we fail to find any information about their servers and data centers. In this case, we started an online monitoring to figure out whether this web host is a reliable one or not.
According to the result, our testing site hosted with them is over 99.9% accessible online during the past months, coming with small downtimes that last several minutes only.
As for the hosting features, this web host does not disappoint us, offering a long list of useful tools, services and technologies. Check the detailed information in the following.
- Basic Features – Sufficient disk spaces are offered, along with the unlimited allocation of monthly bandwidth.
- Domain Features – There is a free domain available for the first year, plus up to 100 domain pointers and at least 3 domain pointers.
- Email Features – These include the virus and spam filtering, SMTP, POP3, auto responder and up to 50 GB of email storage, etc.
- Website Development Features – All of these features are of the latest versions, which include PHP, Ruby on Rails, Zend, Perl, Python and many more.
- Database Feature – The phpMyAdmin is offered, along with the MySQL 5 and automatic database backup service.
Unlike the majority of web hosts that offer the so-called unlimited web hosting, Web.com sets the clear restrictions of the resource usage allowed for each customer, and the allocation is plenty for the common webmasters.
The Cons of Web.com Web Hosting
According to our real hosting experiences, customer feedbacks and our online testing , we simply conclude that this web host is not a good option when it comes to the page loading speed, technical support and affordability.
Bad Hosting Performance
In addition to any information of the data centers and server machines, we also fail to find any speeding up technologies used by this web host. Therefore, we are not surprised about the bad hosting performance they have achieved for our sample site. During these months, our website requires an average of 1000 ms for the server response. And the highest time consumption even reaches 2300 ms.
Limited Support Channels
Here, we do not mean that their support staffs are of poor knowledge for web hosting and always require you to wait a long time to get the response. Instead, when testing their support service personally, we can always get the instant help with the useful resolutions to deal with the issue. Besides, the response time for phone support is around 10 seconds, which achieves the same efficiency level as many other quality web hosts in the market.
However, if you are in trouble, you can get the assistance via the toll-free hotline only. No live chat support, email support and ticket system are available. To be frank, this is not convenient for some non-English speakers. Also, if you encounter some complicated issues such as the hacking issues, only talking on the phone can be hard to tackle your problem.
Even, the available phone support is only available from 8 AM to 8 PM during working days of each week.
Not Budget-Friendly Hosting Charges
This web host offers three web hosting packages that are named as Essential Hosting, Professional Hosting and Premium Hosting. To get them, you are charged at the prices of $5.95/mo, $7.95/mo and $9.95/mo respectively.
As compared with some other web hosts that achieve the same level of hosting quality, this hosting provider is surely not budget-friendly.
Some Minor Drawbacks
In addition to the above-mentioned aspects, this web host also has some minor drawbacks that are listed in the following.
- Not User-Friendly Control Panel – In fact, Web.com does not make it clear of which brand of control panel they offer. What we can ensure is that they do not provide the cPanel. Besides, according to many customer reviews, especially those from new users, their control panel is not user-friendly, requiring a large learning curve.
- Unclear Money Back Policy – Besides the control panel, this web host also does not explain their money back guarantee clearly. After searching on the web, some resources state that they offer the 30 days money back policy. But from their official site, no information has been found about this.
- No Knowledge Base – Unlike the majority of web hosts that offer a knowledge base for customers that contains a lot of useful tutorials about hosting issues, Web.com simply lacks this offering. It is true that they have a blog area, but the majority of posts from this space are about how to make an online brand or online business successfully.
- Poor Website Builder – To ease your burden of website building, this web host has the special Built It For You service. However, many of their customers just complain that the site built and designed by them is of bad appearance and overall layout.
Summary – Is Web.com Worth Trying or Not
We cannot deny that this web host is a rich-featured and reliable option. However, it seems that they focus more on their business marketing and branding building service than on their hosting solution, and have done a bad job for the aspects of page loading speed and technical support. Even the hosting charges are not budget-friendly.
In this case, if you are looking for a web host for your website running, we do not recommend Web.com. Instead, among all the other web hosts we have reviewed so far, we highly suggest you to have a try on InMotion Hosting, BlueHost, and WebHostingHub. These are 3 leading web hosting providers on the web, offering affordable and reliable service, along with the peak performance and responsive support.