TMZHosting, started in 2007, is a relatively new player in the ever-expanding field of web hosting. It’s a family owned business and privately operate multiple data centers throughout the US and UK. Their primary mission is to come up with new services and hosting models while maintaining high level of quality and customer satisfaction.
This company enjoys steady development and expands its size and market margins in a speedy fashion. But in recent years, their customer service and continued downtime have been a growing problem for many users. In this TMZHosting review, we will reveal more than what’s just on the surface.
The above editorial ratings are made by our hosting experiences and customers’ feedbacks. Those mentioned server performance, support quality, hosting features and price will be carefully explained in the following sections.
How About TMZHosting Shared & VPS Hosting Plans?
TMZHosting only offers Linux hosting service, but they offer a range of packages that cover all bases comprehensively. Note that, all those plans can be paid monthly or annually, and those claimed sale prices are only applicable to the first invoice.
- cPanel Web Hosting. Their shared hosting consists of one single plan that includes unlimited disk space, monthly bandwidth, parked-domains, sub-domains, email accounts, email forwarders, email auto-responder and MySQL databases. Besides, more advanced hosting and eCommerce features can be expected like below:
- Managed VPS Hosting. There are up to five plans to choose from, including VM-2G, VM-4G, VM-6G, VM-8G and VM-10G. Those plans allow for at least 8 PUU cores, 100GB RAID-10 disk space, 2GB RAM and 6,000GB bandwidth. Even with the cheapest plan, customers can get one free IP address and free cPanel/WHM license.
- Unmanaged VPS Hosting. Customers can purchase the same plans of managed VPS hosting at a much cheaper price. However, the guaranteed bandwidth is much less, and there is no free control panel which costs $11/mo. Note that, the use of TWENTY coupon code will enable 20% discount, and following are pricing options for both managed and unmanaged solutions.
- Managed Dedicated Servers. This is split into four plans, among which the basic MC-1 plan supports 1000GB SATA3 hard disk, 8GB RAM, 10,000GB bandwidth, 4 free IP addresses, free cPanel/WHM. As for CPU, customers can choose between Intel Core i3-2120 and Dual-Core 3.3 GHz. The starting price is $149/mo, and new clients can receive a 5% discount in the initial term.
Its normal price is $8.98/mo, but any new subscribers purchasing for the plan can get a default 50% discount. That is, webmasters only need to pay $1.99/mo for the three-year service. Note that, this NEWCUSTOMER coupon code is required during the signup process.
VPS Managed Pricing Options:
VPS Unmanaged Pricing Options:
On top of that, TMZHosting offers add-on services to fully meet customers’ business needs. For instance, they provide an SSL certificate at the cost of $9 per year. Within the “Domain Registration” page, there is a list of top-level domains that charge from $10.99/yr to $14/yr. The allowed payment methods include American Express, MasterCard, Visa, PayPal, BitCoin, Skrill and personal checks, etc.
TMZHosting Customer Satisfaction & Uptime Guarantee
# Money Back Guarantee
A satisfaction guarantee, or money back guarantee is an important component when selecting a hosting solution. The 30 days money-back guarantee of TMZHosting is quite standard, but
- Only monthly shared or reseller packages include this refund guarantee, and no full refund will be honored on dedicated servers and colocation.
- Fees for domain name registration, custom software installation, cPanel/WHM license and other add-on services will be deducted.
- This is only applicable to the first paid invoice of a new customer and subsequent invoices are totally non-refundable.
- They reserve the right to refund a pro-rata amount or no refund at all.
# 99.9% Uptime Guarantee & Service Level Agreement
As for website reliability, this company has full confidence to maintain an uptime of more than 99.9% by using enterprise-class server and network devices. According to their “Service Level Agreement”, if the guaranteed uptime percentage is below the promised 99.9% in any given month, their customers can claim for an SLA credit based on monthly renewal price. Below is a chart for reference:
However, the total SLA credit given in a month cannot exceed 50% of the price paid for that month. And customers should meet a series of requirements to get an SLA credit. The uptime guarantee seems to be an empty promise as a number of users say they’ve lost SERPs, website traffic and AdSense revenue due to the pro-longed downtime. Below is our uptime report conducted during the past days:
TMZHosting Speed Testing Result
To shorten the path between users’ websites and visitors, they use multi-layer networks and partner with multiple bandwidth and connectivity providers, such as Level3, Public Peering and Global Crossing. The network makes use of star topology that consists of 2 Cisco Catalyst core routers. Also, security and server software updates are regularly performed to make sure servers will meet and exceed security standards.
As above, we’ve used a powerful speed-testing tool named Pingdom to test the real loading speed of TMZHosting. The result is not so bad but proves the connectivity speed of this company is not that fast as is advertised.
Customer Feedbacks & Experiences of TMZHosting
Apart from network uptime, we can get an overall sense of this web host’s customer support by looking at customers’ reviews. From the next screenshot taken from this webhostingstuff.com review site, we can notice TMZHosting is rated 3 out of 5 stars based on submitted 5 reviews.
It’s understandable why there are more negative reviews than the positive ones.
- Firstly, this company doesn’t offer phone call or live chat support options and only allow anxious customers to contact them via email address or ticket system.
- Secondly, neither “Sales” nor “Technical” support is 24×7-based, and some requests won’t be responded until one week later.
- Most importantly, the ticket status for some unresolved issues can be closed without any prior notification, and raised tickets often get ignored during the peak hours.
TMZHosting Website Migration & Building Services
One benefit of TMZHosting is that this company takes care of the whole migration process at no charge. To be exact, new clients coming from other hosts can get the following services:
- Free script migration.
- Free website migration.
- Free database migration.
- Free email account migration.
One-click install provides a convenient way for users to install their preferred applications or scripts , no matter where that software or script is located. The app installer used by TMZHosting is Softaculous that includes more than 348 scripts, such as WordPress, TomatoCart, Concrete5, Joomla, Magento and so on. Note that, this installer is free in VPS plans, but shared users should pay for $1 per month. In addition, its live demo is displayed on the homepage of TMZHosting.
Final Thoughts – Do Not Try!
TMZHosting indeed provides a comprehensive suite of hosting solutions with multiple payment options and free site migration and building services. However, it cannot be regarded as a recommendable option especially for those looking for a high-performance, feature-rich and helpful web host. Following are three top hosting providers, all of which are incomparable on above points.