Launched in 1998, Lunarpages is an enterprise-level IT solutions company and a global web hosting provider. It claims to host more than 150,000 websites. Comparatively, GoDaddy is an ICANN credited domain registrar and web hosting company, which has served more than 13 million customers.
From these fore-mentioned data, we can see that both Lunarpages and GoDaddy are relatively popular hosting companies regarding of user number. However, are they right choices for shared hosting? If so, which one is better than the other?
To help you make these questions clear, we are going to make a side-by-side comparison between these two companies. This Lunarpages vs GoDaddy comparison revolves around several aspects, namely the price, feature, performance, and support.
Hosting Plans & Price
Lunarpages provides various hosting solutions. As for shared hosting plans, it offers both Linux and Windows packages. The price of Basic Shared Hosting, the best-selling Linux hosting plan, starts from $4.95/mo.
Compared with many other leading shared hosting companies, the price seems to be relatively reasonable. However, there are some extra fees for certain features, such as cPanel and SSH. As a result, the monthly fee will be much higher than it is marked.
GoDaddy provides three hosting plans, namely, Economy, Deluxe, and Ultimate. As suggested by their names, these hosting plans are tailored for basic, multiple, and complex website owners respectively. GoDaddy, nowadays, is making a promotion for these plans. More detailed price and available discount are listed as follows.
- Economy: Pricing at $4.99/mo, with a 28% discount from the original $6.99/mo.
- Deluxe: Pricing at $5.99/mo, with a 33% discount from the original $8.99/mo.
- Ultimate: Pricing at $7.99/mo, with a 46% discount from the original $14.99/mo.
When choosing a web host, features are certainly taken into consideration. Both Lunarpages and GoDaddy claim to provide rich-featured hosting packages. However, have they truly coordinated their actions with their words?
To ensure that you have an intuitive understanding of these features, we have compared two essential hosting plans from Lunarpages and GoDaddy, namely Basic Shared Hosting and Economy. The following table details the comparison results of these two plans.
|Plan in Review||Basic Shared Hosting||Economy|
|Money Back||30 Days||30 Days|
|Free Domain Name||1||1(with annual plan)|
|Ruby on Rails|
From the above table, we can see that the basic features of Lunarpages and GoDaddy are not bad. However, there are many restrictions that make these two hosting plans uncompetitive in regard of price value. These restrictions are detailed as follows.
- Lunarpages provides only an online control panel by default. If you want to use cPanel, you need to pay an additional fee of $2/mo. GoDaddy, however, offers cPanel for each Linux plan. The cPanel available is integrated with a 1-click installer, which makes it easy to install over 125 popular applications.
- SSH access, which is important for remote connection, is available for free with GoDaddy. With Lunarpages, however, you have to pay $2/mo for it.
- SSL certificate is a paid option both with Lunarpages and GoDaddy. You can get access to the standard SSL certificate of Lunarpages by paying $109/year and $69.99/year to get GoDaddy SSL certificate.
Lunarpages utilizes eight state-of-the-art data centers, which are all located in the US. These data centers, as they claimed, are offered with multi-tier redundant power systems and 24×7 monitoring.
Lunarpages provides a 99.9% uptime guarantee. This guarantee, however, is challenged by some accusations. The company has been criticized for overselling since 2009. Also, it’s heard that the network equipment and servers used to be overloaded, leading to some serious accidents.
To verify whether Lunarpages has followed its uptime guarantee, we have signed up Lunarpages and monitored our websites on its servers. According to our monitoring results, the average uptime of Lunarpages is 99.90% in the past thirty days, which is honestly not that bad in the shared hosting industry.
The following chart displays more detailed statistics.
As for GoDaddy, this company also provides a 99.9% uptime guarantee. It owns a data center that is located in Phoenix, Arizona, US and leases another eight data centers from wholesale providers to utilize its 40,000 servers. A redundant power supply plus 24×7 monitoring are also equipped in these data centers to ensure optimized performance. The following is the uptime chart of GoDaddy.
However, GoDaddy receives numerous complaints about delivering relatively slow loading speed. The same goes with Lunarpages. To simplify your understanding, we have compared the speed of these two companies with that of InMotion Hosting, a leading hosting company.
According to our monitoring results, the server response speed of Lunarpages and GoDaddy is 834ms and 784ms, which is nearly 252% and 231% slower than InMotion Hosting.
For more details, please check the following chart.
When it comes to technical support, both Lunarpages and GoDaddy provide multiple channels, which to some extent are tailored for different customers.
Lunarpages offers the live chat, email, ticket, and phone support. It also creates a Lunarpages wiki to answer customers’ questions and provide some tutorials. For those social app users, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc are also considerable options.In comparison, GoDaddy 24×7 support team is available by email, phone, Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.
However, the meaning of technical support does no lie in these seemly fantastic channels. In contrast, effectiveness should be given the priority in giving helps. From this perspective, there are indeed some problems with Lunarpages and GoDaddy support, which may pose some negative influences on customers’ overall experience when asking for support.
These problems are listed as follows.
- Lunarpages unmatched support time: Lunarpages claims that their support team is available 24x7x365. However, this promise is only followed for dedicated server and VPS users. For the shared hosting users, the support inquiries and questions can only be delivered during Monday to Friday, at 7:00 am to 5:00 pm (Pacific Time).
- Lunarpages ineffective support staff: Some webmasters note that the support team is not responsive in that it may take tens of days to get a simple issue fixed.
- GoDadday incomplete support ways: GoDaddy does not support any live chat. This may cause some inconvenience especially for those non-native speakers in getting effective assistance.
From this side-to-side comparison, Lunarpages and GoDaddy are relatively good hosting providers in terms of basic features and price. However, their drawbacks are also prominent. There are many additional fees behind their hosting packages, especially Lunarpages. The overall performance of these two companies is not good. There are also lots of complaints about their technical support.
As a result, we do not recommend either Lunarpages or GoDaddy for you. If you are looking for a quality shared web hosting provider, we recommend the following alternatives. They are reputable not only in shared web hosting but also in the whole industry for their affordable price, rich features, excellent performance, and responsive support. Guarantee you with an excellent web presence? They surely will do it.