A PayPal “Buy Now” button can be a great alternative to some feature-rich eCommerce solutions especially when you only have a few items to sell online. Generally this kind of purchase method is worry-free and much better than Credit Card in terms of renewal rate.
To add such a “Buy Now” button to a WordPress based website, you need a PayPal account firstly. If not, just register one for free through this link. When creating an account with PayPal, you should choose from the following three account types:
- Personal Accounts. This is ideal for making payments on eBay and sending money to friends or family via debit card, bank account as well as the Credit Card.
- Premier Accounts. This is great for both selling and buying online and can be used even though you don’t have a full-time business.
- Business Accounts. This is perfect for online business and will work great if you run a business under a group or company name.
How to Add a PayPal Buy Now Button to WordPress?
Having had a rough idea about PayPal and its account types, we will show you how to add PayPal button to website that is powered by WordPress. Now, let’s get started with creating PayPal button as follows.
Create Your Own PayPal Button
Step 1: As shown, log into your PayPal account and then mouse over the tab labelled as “Merchant Services”. This will prompt you to select the features you want to use, and just click on this bracketed option. Next, press the button saying “Create Button Now” there.
Step 2: This will open the settings page of your PayPal button. From here, there are multiple product types for your selection, including “Shopping Cart”, “Buy Now”, “Gift Vouchers” and “Subscriptions”. In this example, just choose the “Buy Now” option from the top drop-down box.
Step 3: The next step is to enter the “Item Name” that would be displayed on the payment screen when someone clicks on your PayPal button. The “Item ID” is optional, which requires an exact identifier number like 1 or 2. Meanwhile, enter the price of your service/product and then specify the currency to accept online payment.
Within the “Customize Button” section, you have an option to add text fields and drop-down menu with multiple price options included. It’s also possible to hide/show the logos of Credit Card, adopt a much smaller PayPal button or even use a custom button. By clicking the “Customize Text or Appearance” link, you can upload your preferred image of a purchase button.
Step 4: Now, it’s time to enter your shipping and tax information. Simply fill in postage amount in “Shipping” and fill in the percentage of your “Tax” amount. If you’re confused about the two fields, consult the local authorities or better yet leave them to the defaults.
Besides, you’re also allowed to choose between using the primary email address and merchant account ID. With “Email Address” option, your email address will be displayed on the frontend and thus visible to spammers; while with “Merchant Account ID”, PayPal will link your ID to the email address so as to make it not visible to spammers.
Step 5: In the next screenshot, this “Save Button at PayPal” option is checked by default, but you can click to use other options, such as “Track Inventory” and “Track Profit and Losses”. Each option comes with instructive explanations, and it is optional to enter “Item ID”, “Quantity in Stock”, “Alert Quantity” and “Cost”.
Step 6: This step is optional and only meant to advanced users most of the time. Here, you should decide whether to allow consumers to re-change order quantities at the checkout and send special instructions to you via a message. If needed, check “Yes” to require the postal address of your customer.
Below that, you can check to display the two pages in front of your customers:
- Success Page. This will appear if someone has finished the checkout process. To create such a page, just log onto the WordPress dashboard and head to “Pages” > “Add New”. As for content, you can give an estimated timeline for shipping, add a “Thank You” note and any important notes there.
- Cancel Page. It will show up if anyone cancels the checkout process. Here, it is advisable to insert some points that will lure them into continuing with the current purchase, such as extra bonus, extra discount or just a simple survey form. This just gives a second chance for you to capture customers’ attention and dollars.
If completed, remember to fill in their URL in the correspondent fields and then click on “Create Button” to end the creation process.
Display PayPal on Your WordPress Website
Now, you will be presented with the button code from a pop-up page. Just copy and paste that code to anywhere you’d like to place PayPal “Buy Now” button. By the way, a preview of this button is also offered on the right hand.