Based in Toronto, Ontario, HostUpon has committed to providing hosting services for small, medium and large scale businesses around the world. Instead of being a part of EIG, the web host is privately owned and operated, with up to six data centers throughout North America.
In general, the flexible resources and valued customer service are what make this company a competitive contender in the current market. However, it may not seem to be a perfect option in the light of uptime, speed, cancellation policy and other important factors. Now, drop down and read more details.
What You May Like with HostUpon
#1: flexible hosting products & resources
HostUpon provides a wide range of hosting types that cover from shared hosting up to dedicated servers filed. Also, users can expect a few common features across those plans:
- Web Hosting. As shown, there are two selectable plans called “Stater Unlimited” and “Business Unlimited” for personal and business websites. Their features are without many differences, which include unlimited disk space, bandwidth, MySQL databases, hosted domains, email accounts, with one free domain for life. Also, cPanel and one-click installer are allowed.
- VPS Hosting. This consists of five plans – VPS20, VPS50, VPS75, VPS100 and VPS150. Each plan comes loaded with unlimited MySQL databases, unlimited email accounts and unlimited FTP accounts. From the intro-level plan, webmasters can get 20 GB disk space, 100 GB bandwidth transfer, 512 MB memory as well as 2 IP addresses. The cPanel/WHM control panels are offered.
- Reseller Hosting. HosUpon offers five options for users, and they are RS100, RS200, RS300, RS400 and RS500. Each plan is pre-installed with unlimited monthly bandwidth, unlimited add-on domains, unlimited sub-domains as well as a free .com domain name. The disk space and resold accounts vary from one plan to another, and consumers can get a minimum of 15 GB disk space and 10 email accounts there.
- Dedicated Servers. This is split into four flexible packages: DS100, DS200, DS300 and DS400. All of the plans are integrated with different resources, and below is also a feature comparison chart that includes everything from essential features to advanced add-ons.
#2: popular cPanel & management tools
Every HostUpon hosting plan comes with the newest version cPanel rather than a self-developed control panel. With the Softaculous app installer, any users can get free one-click installation for more than 260 scripts, including WordPress, Drupal, Joomla, RVSitebuilder, etc.
Honestly, the inclusion of FFmpeg video modules is what really draws our attention to this company. For those who are not aware, FFmpeg is an industry-leading video and audio converter. This kind of tool is extremely useful when webmasters need a solution for cross-platform encoding, decoding, recording and converting. This is a rare offer in the hosting industry.
#3: real in-house customer support
HostUpon claims to offer real customer service without outsourcing any of the support avenues. Their technicians are available through the following tunnels:
- Live Chat. Anyone, be page viewers or HostUpon registrants, can open a web-based chat window and get instant response within few minutes. However, this is not 24×7-based and only available from 4 a.m. to 9 p.m. EST.
- Email Ticket. The support departments of HostUpon are based in Toronto, Canada, and customers can submit a ticket to access technical assistance. Generally there are five different email contacts, including “Sales”, “Support”, “Billing”, “Affiliates” as well as “Abuse”.
- Phone Call. Also, the phone call support is reachable for all HostUpon users, and there is no extra charge when someone dials the hotline number. This is an excellent option for English speakers who live in North America. However, only from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. EST can the phone support be contacted successfully.
By the way, all clients of HostUpon have the access to a knowledgebase, a download library, and some video tutorials. It’s also possible to log into a “Client Area” where they can select a preferred language from the drop-down “Language” list.
What You May Dislike with HostUpon
#1: not so good server performance
Instead of emphasizing how powerful their server facilities are, HostUpon pays a lot of attention to Green Hosting. For instance, its virtualized cloud hosting technology uses less technology without compromising the quality of this company’s hosting hardware.
However, the web host still has a long way to go when it comes to server performance. As above, many of their customers point out that their servers are overloaded and may take forever to respond to a simple file request.
#2: lower than average network uptime
HostUpon has a 99.9% uptime rate, but like many other companies, it does not publish any uptime statistics on their official site. There is a 99.9% uptime SLA (Service Level Agreement) in the TOS (Terms of Service), but there is no any indication about whether users can get compensation for unexpected failovers.
As shown, the monitoring result from “UptimeRobot.com” shows that the uptime of HostUpon averages 98.66% during the past 30 days. This is a tad bit lower than the industry standard.
#3: unreasonable pricing & refund policy
Since its establishment, HostUpon has positioned itself as a cost-effective hosting service provider. However, once explore deeply, we can easily find that its products are not as economical as is advertised. Following are the billing and pricing details of the “Starter Unlimited” plan:
- Monthly – $14.95/mo + $10.00 setup fee.
- 6 Months – $11.62/mo. No setup fee.
- 1 Year – $7.95/mo + one free .com domain.
- 2 Years – $5.50/mo + one free .com domain.
- 3 Years – $3.95/mo + one free .com domain.
Obviously, the monthly price is much higher than most companies, and the so-called “Affordable Price” only applies to subscribers who purchase the three-year service.
As for customer satisfaction guarantee, HostUpon customers who become unsatisfied with the service and make cancellation requests 30 days before the renewal date will be given a full refund. However, users wishing to cancel their services or transfer their FREE domains to another registrar are subject to a $20 domain release fee. More additional details are shown as above.
Final Verdict – Not Recommended
From this HostUpon review, we can notice that this company offers various hosting types for anyone who wants one-click app installation and easy-to-use cPanel control panel. However, its server performance, support and cancellation policy still need improvement. Those hosting providers listed in the following table will deliver great price value with expertise in customer support.