Using phpMyAdmin to export a database means creating a backup file for the database to ensure the security of data. Once you have created the backup, you are able to copy it and import it to another server. In below, we have worked out a detailed tutorial to teach you how to export and import a database by using phpMyAdmin.
Before writing this tutorial, we have inquired many people with at least 5 years of hosting experience and read many articles about this topic at many reputed web hosts’ knowledgebase, such as InMotion and BlueHost. Therefore, we promise this tutorial is the one you are looking for.
Note than before importing a database, you have to export the database. What’s more, you need to download and install phpMyAdmin before exporting a database. Proceed to the details of exporting and importing a database in below.
Steps of Exporting a Database Using phpMyAdmin
Once you have downloaded and installed phpMyAdmin, you need to log into your control panel by visiting your web host’s official site and clicking log into control panel. Then scroll down to Database section, and you are able to see many sections. Click the phpMyAdmin section and start to use it to export a database. Follow the following steps.
- Log in phpMyAdmin with your username of control panel and password of MySQL.
- Select the database are working with in the left at the present page.
- Click Export at the top of the tabs.
- Look down and make sure that all your tables under the Export button and the SQL option are selected.
- Move to the middle of this menu, and check all the boxes except the last one within Structure group.
- Besides, check the Save as file section at the bottom of this menu.
- Next, if your database is big in size, you need to click either between “zipped” and “gzipped’ in the Compression to extract the file to ensure it can be easily downloaded. If your database is small, choose None to avoid uncompressing the file.
- Then click Go at the bottom right of this menu to continue.
- Then, you can open or save the file. We recommend you saving the file to your desktop, because you can find it easily.
Steps of Importing a Database
Once you have completed the exporting of a database and have saved the files somewhere you would like to, you need to import it to make a backup of your database and your server files. Don’t delete the files or a database unless you are 100% sure that everything works well. learn the steps of importing a database by using phpMyAdmin.
- Visit the official site of your web hosting company and log into your control panel.
- Click phpMyAdmin to open this tool.
- Select the database that you plan to work with in the left menu.
- Click on Import button at the top of this menu.
- Click browse within the File to Import section to select the file you have saved.
- Scroll down to the bottom right and click Go.
- Once you have received a message at the top of this page, you have succeeded in importing a database.