Etsy is a famous and popular P2P e-commerce platform that mainly focuses on the vintage items, handmade supplies and factory-made products that cover a large range, including art, food, bath, photography, jewelry and many other beauty things. Since the year of 2014, this special platform has more than 54 million of registered users selling and buying on it.
Due to the great popularity of Etsy, you may spare efforts on it to sell your items and successfully generate the massive income. But now, to better expand and enhance your online career, we highly recommend you to have your own online presence by integrating Etsy with your self-owned website.
In the following, we’d like to discuss why you’d better set up a WordPress site for your Etsy shop, as well as how to create and manage a WordPress Etsy store with much ease.
Why to Build A WordPress Site for Your Etsy Store
Surely, you can get a lot of benefits by selling some special items on Etsy store. However, if you are looking to establish yourself as a profession or an expert without relying on Etsy only, you’d better combine your Etsy shop with your WordPress-powered website. In the following, we have listed some key reasons for achieving this combination.
- As the Etsy platform only gives you a few chances to modify your store, this integration allows you to get the full control over the store’s online presence. After all, there are a massive number of WordPress themes available that come with the great customization.
- Etsy surely allows you to display your items perfectly, but there is always a cross promotion for some similar products offered by other sellers. In this case, if you only want to focus on your own items, the integration is important.
- The most importantly, the integration between WordPress and your Etsy store allows you to achieve the professional image for your online brand and to explore some other aspects of the online business easily.
How to Create and Manage A WordPress Etsy Store
To create and manage the Etsy store on your WordPress site that is already available online, you can leverage the Etsy Store plugin, with which you are allowed to insert all the Etsy store sections and components on the pages or posts of your website easily via the shortcode or the bracket method.
Note that this plugin only requires you to finish three steps to achieve this effective integration.
Step 1 – Enter the Etsy API Key
After installing it, you can go to its settings page to enter the API Key of the Etsy platform. If you do not have the API key yet, you simply need to click the link of Creating A New Etsy App.
If you already have logged in your Etsy store account, now, you can be redirected to the special page that allows you to create a new application. Here, you need to enter the application name that has up to 140 characters and the application description that has up to 500 characters. Here, the application website needs to be the URL of your WordPress site.
In addition, you need to pick up the answers to the following questions.
- The type of this application. You can choose the option of Seller Tools.
- The user of this application. You can pick up the option of General Public.
- The commercial nature of this application. You should tick the checkbox of No, for you do not charge people to use it.
Now, you can pass the Captcha test and click the Create App button. And then, this platform will give you the needed API key later. Here, you just need to paste it into the plugin settings page of your WordPress admin.
Step 2 – Decide the Displayed Items on Your WordPress Site
In order to better organize and display your Etsy store products on your WordPress pages or posts, you firstly need to categorize them into different sections. For this, you should go to the Etsy store and click the Your Shop button on the main navigation.
From the showcased drop-down items, you simply need to hit the Listings Manager button.
In the next page, you can check all your displayed items that are ready for selling. Here, you should navigate to the left-hand column to target the Sections area, and then, click the Organize Your Listings button.
Now, you can find a popup box appeared, from which you need to enter the section title and click the Save button. Here, you need to note that you can create up to 15 sections, which means you can categorize all your selling items into 15 groups at the maximum.
Next, you need to click your target products that you are willing to add to your newly created section. This way, you can check the images, titles, categories, prices, quantity, renewal options, types, descriptions, shipping, variations and many other details of your items. If you want, you can make some proper changes in this step.
Then, you can scroll down to the Section part. From the drop-down list, you can find your section name. Just click it. Do not forget the click the Publish button to save the changes.
Now, you can repeat this step to categorize all your selling items easily.
Step 3 – Add the Etsy Store on Your WordPress Site
The last step is to integrate WordPress with Etsy store by showcasing your Etsy store products on the WordPress posts or pages. For doing so, you need to leverage the shortcode generated by this plugin. Check the coding stuff in the following.
Here, you need to enter two exclusive values, which are the name of your Etsy store along with the ID of your Etsy store section. To find these two values, you need to go back to your Etsy shop again and click the Listings Manger button from the Your Shop drop-down list.
Then, you can move your eyes to the browser address bar. Note that the store name is hidden in the URL, which is between the words of “shops” and “tools”. In our example, the store name is “Morleta”.
As for getting the section ID number, you need to click the Sections button from the left column and target your wanted section from the available options. And then, you can check the address bar one more time. The ID number is just behind the word of “section”.
After modifying the shortcode properly in the page editing screen, you can also add some descriptive words and images as you want. Here, we need to note that this page only displays all the products that are categorized into a single section. In this case, the page name would be better to relate to the section name tightly.
In addition, to help people find this page easily, you’d better click the Appearance > Menu button to add the link of this page to your main website menu.
The following screenshot showcases the default appearance of the WordPress Etsy store. Note that you can customize and change how it looks by adopting different WordPress themes.
The last but not the least, you can set up a few minor settings for the running of the WordPress Etsy store. Here, you can enter the plugin settings page again to set up the below parts.
- Select whether to open the Etsy link in a new window. Personally, we think this option is good to try. This way, when people click on the products displayed on your WordPress site, they can open a new window to check the product details and to make the purchase without leaving your site entirely.
- Decide the number of seconds for the timeout of a request made by your visitors.
- If your website or the product pages cannot load properly, you need to reset the cache status for the performance improvement.