If you are a newbie wanting to set up a new blog, then the first thing you may be considering is which content management system or blogging tool is the best choice for you, as there are plenty of CMS platforms existed on the web. In fact, there are two most commonly used tools for you to choose from: WordPress and Joomla. Both of them are free, open source, and based on PHP and MySQL. However, as you can only choose one to build your blog, which is better with regard to blog establishment?
In below, our editors have comprehensively introduced the 2 blogging tool, as well as the pros and cons of each. With this WordPress vs Joomla comparison, you can choose the best one to build your new blog site easily.
I bet that there are no webmasters who haven’t heard about WordPress. Even the novice must know that WordPress is one of the most powerful and easy to use blog builders. As estimated, it has been used by over 18.9% of the top 10 million websites, and has powered more than 60 million websites worldwide, among which the three out of five are blog sites.
- Blogging History – WordPress is the official successor of b2/cafelog, which is the most famous pioneer in the blogging space, and has been used to build approximately 20,000 blogs as of May 2003. Then, WordPress has been launched in the same year as a joint effort between Matt Mullenweg and Mike Little to create a fork of b2. In other words, WordPress can be seen as a product which is designed primarily and originally for blogging.
- Easy Setup – WordPress is well-known for its ease of installation, taking less than five minutes to complete with the 1-click WordPress installer offered by almost all the web hosting companies (e.g. SimpleScripts offered by BlueHost, QuickInstall offered by HostGator). If you wish to install WordPress yourself, you only need to carry out 4 steps: download and unzip the WordPress package, create a MySQL database, upload the WordPress file with a FTP program, and at last complete the WordPress installation by accessing the URL where you uploaded the WordPress files in a web browser.
- Search Engine Optimization – WordPress is known for its SEO-friendly. It has less code, and all the codes are simple and clean, which are preferred by search engines to index. According to our testing, with a WordPress powered blog site, your new post can be listed on Google within 1 day.
- Content Publishing – Every new blogger can learn how to create content, add images, and publish new pages with WordPress within minutes. This is pretty practical for new bloggers who want to update their blog sites on a daily basis.
- Themes & Plugins – At present, WordPress has almost 2,000 themes and more than 26,000 plugins available, meaning that you can customize the look and extend the functionality of your blog in any way you like.
- Community – WordPress offers a strong community support with a large number of developers, designers, and professional webmasters. However, it lacks some community-building initiatives, and doesn’t intend to foster its community to make it more attractive and useful.
- Security Issue – There are some security issues uncovered in WordPress, particularly in 2007 and 2008. Many high profile blogs and commercial blogs were hacked and attacked during that period.
- Customization Complexity – If you’re planning to customize your site heavily, you might need to get some help from a developer or programmer.
Joomla is a versatile CMS which can be used to build simple blog site, discussion board, online communities, online store, complex corporate portals, and so forth. It is mainly designed to be used as a CMS for complex website with many web pages, and is developer-oriented with more extensive capabilities than WordPress. To be frank, Joomla is a complex site building option for new bloggers.
- Easy Setup – Just like WordPress, Joomla is very easy to install. Many web hosting companies also offer the auto installer for Joomla, so you can have a Joomla based blog simply by clicking a few buttons.
- Flexibility – Joomla offers more flexibility on structure than WordPress, and allows you to manage complex content with images, videos, audios, and flashes easily.
- Extension – Joomla are serving 7021 extensions now, which are more powerful and functional than WordPress plugins. According to Joomla.org, there are 33 different kinds of categories for you to extend the functionality of your website to the largest extent.
- SEO Competence – Joomla is less SEO friendly than WordPress. Generally, a common HTML site will take about half a month to get listed in Google, unless you utilize some SEO tools to rank higher and quickly.
- Customization – Joomla official site fails to offer plenty of themes for customization just like WordPress, so you need to search for your preferred one outside Joomla.org. Besides, due to its complicated layout system, changing the look of a Joomla site is not a simple task for newbies, and even some experienced webmasters need to go through a learning curve to customize the site successfully.
- Usability – The admin interface of Joomla is very powerful, but is not as user-friendly as WordPress graphical-based interface.
- Upgrade -To deal with vulnerabilities and loopholes, Joomla offers new versions constantly, but moving from the old version to the latest version can be time consuming.
WordPress vs Joomla – Which One Is More Recommended
Actually, from the above information that demonstrates the pros and cons of these two scripts, you can easily choose between them. However, for better comparison, we’d like to list the main usage between WordPress and Joomla in the following.
- WordPress is the most widely used CMS, which is used as the blogging system mainly. However, you will not be limited to the blog site. After all, its flexibility also allows you to create different kinds of websites with the static pages. WordPress is truly suitable for beginners.
- Joomla is surely a powerful CMS. It can be used for all kinds of website building, such as government, blogs, schools, business, corporates and more.
In fact, both of the 2 are are powerful publishing platforms, but WordPress is designed for newbies building a simple blog, and Joomla is built for professional webmasters building highly customized site with high flexibility and complex content.
Besides, in order to have a successful WordPress powered blog, you need to choose a safe and reliable WordPress hosting company. And we have listed 3 of the best WordPress hosts after reviewed hundreds of companies in the market.