Since inception in 2007, BudgetVM has specialized in virtual servers, cloud servers as well as dedicated servers. The web host is owned by another big company named Enzu, which sells Xen-powered cloud and VPS servers with RapidXen.
In the following, we will mainly discuss this company’s different types of hosting on the aspects of reputation, features, pricing, performance and customer service. This review helps those who know little about this start-up company decide whether it is worth choosing.
How About the Customer Feedbacks?
Undoubtedly, online reviews are crucial in a customer’s purchasing choice. As such, only a few customer reviews are available on the web, and most of them are proved to be positive. This may not be an indication that BudgetVM keeps good reputation, because this company reserves the right to remove any review, be positive or negative, for any reason.
How About the Hosting Plans & Features?
Hosting is provided in three categories, including cloud hosting, VPS and dedicated servers. Pricing and feature details are listed below:
- Cloud Servers. Their managed private cloud hosting solutions include “Corporate” and “Enterprise”. The plans allow for at least 16 CPU cores, 3TB storage, 3TB backup, 64GB DDR3, 1 control panel server, 1 storage server as well as 2 Hypervisor servers. Their monthly prices are $799 and $1199 respectively.
- Dedicated Servers. There are up to 10 dedicated hosting plans, and they are built on different servers, such as Xeon E3-1230, E3- 1230v2, E3-1230v3 and Atom D525. The cheapest plan includes 4GB memory, 5TB bandwidth, 2×3.3GHz CPU cores and 1 Gbps DDOS protection. The price ranges from $39/mo up to $149/mo.
- Virtual Servers. BudgetVM offers four types of VPS, including SSD VPS (OpenVZ), Linux VPS (OpenVZ), Linux VPS (Xen) as well as Windows VPS (Xen). The allocation of RAM, storage, CPU cores, data transfer, port speed, IPv4 and IPv6 support are identical to each kind of VPS. The 512MB plan is pricing at $35 per year.
Does It Offer Multiple Payment Gateways?
The answer is “Yes”. Honestly, this is a common problem to face when purchasing a hosting plan. As such, BudgetVM provides a variety of payment methods for clients to choose from. For instance, it allows Alipay – China’s leading third-party online payment solution. Following are other payment methods of this company:
- Credit/Debit Cards.
- Direct deposit to Account.
Is BudgetVM Server Performance Satisfying?
As such, they claim to use the SSAE16 Type II certificated facilities and partner with over 300 providers worldwide. However, practice is the sole criterion for testing truth. Having tested this company with Pingdom.com, we’re surprised to find that their server response time is 2.80s on average. This is just the industry standard.
BudgetVM Localized Data Centers & 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
As is known, the closer the visitors are to the data center, the faster a website will load for them. In this regard, BudgetVM owns 4 data centers on the territory of US, including Chicago, Dallas, Los Angeles and Miami. Most importantly, this company lets users take a tour on each data center and test out various locations to get to know the general latency.
Meanwhile, this company endows a 99.9% uptime guarantee and makes a full list of “Security” and “Power” systems on the homepage. For instance, it claims to use 2N UPS infrastructure, surveillance systems as well as 6 x 2,000KW generators with 48 hours of on-site fuel storage. According to the figures during the past days, its server uptime is well above 99.9%. That’s pretty impressive.
BudgetVM Customer Support Method & Quality
The technical department of BudgetVM is based in the US, and their clients can contact the support staffs via the following tunnels:
- Phone call. This company provides three different phone numbers for “Sales”, “Support” and “General” requests. However, only the “Support” department is 24×7-based, and the “Billing” and other departments can only be contacted from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. during the working days.
- Ticket system. Troubled customers can choose to write down their minor problems and then send a message to the experts and engineers of BudgetVM via a ticket system. It’s also possible to send them an email via the published addresses.
- Live chat. Usually there will be a web-based live chat window on the website of BudgetVM, and everyone can start an online chat using email address. The supported languages are English and Chinese.
However, the support quality of BudgetVM remains to be a concern for many webmasters. It has been reported that their support staffs rely very fast to any requests but simply refuse to help users out and send useless links most of time. Below is our proof.
Need-to-Know Disadvantages of BudgetVM
Following are some need-to-know disadvantages of BudgetVM:
- There is no control panel in both VPS and dedicated servers packages. That is, users need to purchase the control panel like cPanel or Plesk as add-on service.
- Only a 7-day refund guarantee is available for dedicated servers. Most companies guarantee at least 30 days money back guarantee, and it’s obviously not enough to try out the service within one week.
- As BudgetVM is relatively new to the hosting field, there are more or less security problems to be expected in the coming days. And there is no clear information about whether they perform regular backups and keep up security measures.
Final Thoughts – Not Recommended
From what we have discussed within the BudgetVM review, BudgetVm is not recommended for those wishing a fast and helpful web host. As shown, these companies in the following table provide reliable and powerful VPS hosting service at an affordable rate. They are also highly recommended at the most VPS review sites, such as BestVPSHostingDeals, etc.